Lemon (Citrus limon) essential oil represents the fruitfulness of the earth and life. It’s one of these essential oils that is very uplifting and at the same time very clarifying and purifying. It is one of the lightest essential oils in aromatherapy.
Referred to by the Roman historian Virgil as the “median apple”, the peel of the lemon was used to perfume clothes and repel insects in ancient times.
The aroma is very light, clean, fresh, bright, citrus, sweet and slightly bitter. It is a top note.
Lemon blends beautifully with other citrus essential oils like grapefruit, bergamot, lime, tangerine, orange, also with basil, rosemary, laurel leaf, fennel, hyssop, marjoram, frankincense, elemi, peppermint, lavender, petitgrain, neroli, ylang ylang, geranium, nutmeg, cypress, black and blue spruces, eucalyptus.
Lemon essential oil creates the feeling of freshness and cleanliness. With its bright scent it is very refreshing and uplifting for our emotional body and spirit. From the psychological perspective Lemon essential oil has significant clarifying qualities:
- emotionally uplifting
- great for mental fatigue
- releases emotional confusion and listlessness
- encourages clarity and direction
- encourages awareness
- improves concentration and focus
- stimulating for the mind by increasing the ability to memorize and helps to improve intellectual performance
- helps to ease the feeling of worry, lethargy, apathy, indecisiveness, irritability, pessimism
- promotes creativity
From energetic perspective Lemon essential oil helps to expand the energy and promotes the sense of opening, invites positive energy to come in. Also used to strengthen 2nd (relationships, creation energy), 3rd (personal power) and 6th (perspective) chakras.
Lemon essential oil has a lot of therapeutic properties and benefits and is often used to:
- to reduce swelling and pain associated with varicose veins (especially good in combination with cypress and patchouli)
- to relief depression
- helps to counteract pain and inflammation
- useful for acne and blemishes due to its astringent, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties (thanks to compound D-limonene)
- supports immune system
- aids with detoxification
- helps to reduce the signs of cellulite and to tighten the skin
- helpful for sore throat relief
- helpful with insect bites
N.B.: Lemon essential oil can be phototoxic (read about the phototoxic essential oils and their safe limits here) at certain amount. Avoid direct UV lights on the skin after topical application for up to 12 hours.