Whenever it comes to spiritual practice, be it meditation, be it a prayer, connecting with spirit realms or connecting to our Higher Self, to have this beautiful spiritual environment, the whole atmosphere is very important. It’s as important as for us personally be in a calm, relaxed, more harmonious state. This enables us to connect with a Divine and receive these Divine messages.
One of the best ways to enhance our spiritual practice, to create the spiritual atmosphere in a room, as well as to help us to be more centered, more focused, more grounded, elevate our spirit, is to use essential oils and incense.
If to look back, for example, the incense has been used for this purpose for thousands of years. From my personal research and my personal practical use of essential oils I was able to separate a list of essential oils which I personally find to be very effective in terms of enhancing the spiritual practice, in terms of elevating the spirit, being more centered and focused, staying in a presence of now.
- Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) is highly spiritual oil, it helps to deepen the breath, deepen meditation, helps to elevate the spirit, to connect with the Divine, receive the Divine guidance and it opens all of our chakras.
- Sacred Frankincense (Boswellia sacra) is very similar to Frankincense but in terms of spiritual practice I find it to be one level up.
- Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha) also comes from the resins, very spiritual, helps to elevate the spirit, open energy centers, helps to be more centered and focused, be more receptive towards Divine guidance.
- Opopanax (Commiphora guidotti) comes from the resin and works here in a very similar way as Myrrh essential oil.
- Sandalwood (Santalum album) has been used and still used in different forms (essential oil, incense) for enhancing spiritual practice. It keeps us grounded, which is foundation of any practice, keeps us centered, focused, clears the mind from excess of thinking, works on upper chakras by opening them up and helps to connect to the Universe.
- Cedarwood Atlas (Cedrus atlantica) for spiritual practice I find it as an alternative to expensive Sandalwood.
- Palo Santo (Bursera graveolens) is highly spiritual, helps to be more centered, clears the mind, helps to unite with the Universe, with Divine. And it helps to clear the space from negative energy and create a highly spiritual environment.
- Black Spruce (Picea mariana) when diffused creates the sense of tranquility, unity with the nature, helps to stay more centered and to stay in a present moment.
- Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) keeps us in a presence of Now, helps to connect with the nature, creates the sense of freshness and tranquility.
- Blue Cypress (Callitris intratropica) is very similar here to Hong Kuai, grounding, spiritual, centering, balancing, helps to be more open to the Divine.
- Hong Kuai (Chamaecyparis formasensis) keeps us grounded, centered, creates the sense of harmony within, rises the spirit, helps to reach deep layers in meditation, keeps us in a present moment.
- Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis) highly spiritual, opens Heart chakra, creates the sense of balance, rises our vibrations, transcending the barrier between our and spiritual realms.
- Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum) opens Heart chakra which makes us more receptive towards the spiritual realms, opens Third Eye chakra, brings us more in tune with our psychic abilities, in this case it clairvoyance, stimulates inner vision.
- Angelica Root (Angelica archangelica) know to be an ‘oil of angels”, helps to elevate the spirit but also keeps us grounded, opens upper chakras, personally I find it effective when I need to connect with guardian angels or spirit guides.
- Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans) is know to be oil for lucid dreams. stimulates visions, brings consciousness to our dreams, which helps to access some of the information which can’t be perceived on a daily basis.
- Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma) clears the space and our energy field from the negative energy, grounding, helps to unite with nature, protective, calming, helps to keep thoughts pure and not interact with us during the meditation or prayer.
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) very calming and relaxing, nurturing, helps to dissolve negativity and worries, easily brings the sense of inner peace which is essential during spiritual practice.
- Rose (Rosa damascena) can be called the “scent of love”, is highly vibrational essential oil, it fills us with love, forgiveness, gratitude, inner beauty, stimulates imagination and inner vision, opens upper chakras which enables us to open up psychic abilities and connect us to another realms.
I always would encourage you to experiment with your oils, use them and see what emotions do they bring in you, how do they work on you, how they enhance your practice. This will help you to build your own list of spiritual oils.
Have a beautiful day,