Talking about cellulite… Apart of exercises and healthy eating I find anti-cellulite massage oils to be one of the best and easiest options to ton up the skin and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
First let’s have a look at what is cellulite. The actual term “cellulite” refers to a dimpled, lumpy appearance of the skin at certain areas of the body (thighs, hips, buttocks, sometimes upper arm, stomach). It happens when fat deposits are pushing through the connective tissue under the skin.
Everybody can have cellulite, however women are more pron to have it then men. Usually it’s normal to have some fat under the skin, but when it starts showing as “orange peel” skin that’s when we don’t like it and want to do something to get rid of it.
One of the best preventative ways and ways to get rid of it, I found is to do some self massage on problem areas. And of course using what Nature gave us is the smartest way to do so, in my opinion. Adding essential oils to your massage oil is the easiest and honestly best natural ways to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
So let me tell you the best 8 essential oils that over time are known to be really effective in reducing cellulite.
Is known to have diuretic properties and aids detoxification, which makes it great for decreasing water retention issues and to remove toxic build up that has accumulated in the body. All this makes it helpful for reducing cellulite. For this purpose it works very well with Cypress, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Geranium.
With its astringent properties cypress makes a great addition to massage and body oils to combat cellulite. It helps to prevent fluid retention, eliminate toxins and boost blood circulation. Use it alone with carrier oil like jojoba or sweet almond, or blend it with other oils which share similar properties to enhance the benefits of it.
Is known to be a great astringent and tonic, which helps to ton up the skin. Grapefruit essential oil is high in a compound D-limonene which has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties and is helpful with obesity. Reducing inflammation also helps to reduce adipose tissue.
Lemon essential oil is also high in a compound D-limonene and shares similar benefits with Grapefruit essential oil. Lemon is known to boost blood circulation topically and this also makes it helpful in reducing the signs of cellulite. Blends well with all other essential oils.
Rosemary has a well established reputation for having astringent properties and being a circulatory stimulant and is often added to different blends due to its properties. Increasing circulation with massage oil makes it very helpful in combating cellulite in a natural way.
It’s invaluable essential oil for skin care. Including reducing the cellulite. Geranium has gentle stimulating effect on the lymphatic system and stimulates circulation, helps to diminish water retention and eliminate toxins, which makes it great choice for reducing signs of cellulite.
Fennel has been used for years as a diuretic agent and for reducing hormone-related fluid retention, especially works very good when used with massage. Due to its actions Fennel is helpful in preventing the toxic build up in body. All this combined makes it a great choice to add to massage oil blend to fight cellulite. Blends well with Lemon, Grapefruit, Cedarwood, Cypress, Geranium.
8. Cedarwood Atlas
It’s probably one of the best essential oils to help with cellulite problems. Cedarwood essential oil increases the frequency of urination which helps to remove toxins, excess of water and reduce the amount of fat in the body. It’s often added to anti-cellulite massage blends. Works really well in a combination with Grapefruit, Juniper and Cypress essential oils.
For reducing cellulite and improve the appearance of your skin you can use these essential oils mixed with carrier oil (jojoba, sweet almond, coconut) and apply with massage moves on your problem areas after the shower. Best works when applied twice a day.
How to use:
- use these essential oils in a massage oil blends (mix a blend of cedarwood – 25 drops, juniper – 16 drops, cypress – 25 drops, fennel – 10 drops, geranium – 15 drops, grapefruit – 13 drops in a small dark glass bottle, then add 15-18 drops of this blend to 30 l of carrier oil and massage it on the problem area)
- use it in anti-cellulite salt scrubs by adding 5-10 drops of it Himalayan salt mixed with 30 ml of carrier oil and massage it on problem areas
Before using any of the essential oils don’t forget about safety tips:
- use them in a reasonable amount, they are very potent and concentrated, all you need is to add them in a small amount to your carrier oil, use them with a 3% dilution ration which makes it 15-18 drops per 30 ml of carrier
- some essential oils may not be suitable for you if you have certain health conditions, Juniper may not be best choice if you have kidney problems, Fennel is better be avoided during pregnancy and while breastfeeding, citrus oils like Grapefruit and Lemon can be phototoxic, for safe amounts you can read here or avoid UV light exposure after applying it to your skin for 12 hours
- avoid using during pregnancy such oils like Fennel, Rosemary, Juniper